Friday, October 30, 2009

What the Heck? Nike Doesn't Seem to Acknowledge that Anyone Lives in Israel!

A while back I started listening to podcasts during my commute, while I run, do the dishes, you name it. The best way to listen to podcasts, is on an Ipod, which I love. (It's really a fantastic blend of hardware and software.) My cousin, who knows that I run, graciously sent me a Nike+Ipod kit. Basically, it's a little pod that you put in your Nike shoe (which I happen to have), which tells your Ipod how fast you're running and how far you went, and helps you keep track of your runs. It sounds kinda silly, but it really does help. For some reason, I want to hear that lady tell me, "Congratulations. You've reached your goal."
Nike even has this great website, called NikeRunning where you can keep track of your runs, set goals - all kinds of nice things. And then there's a feature called "MapIt." (you may need to log in to access the site.)
Apparently, MapIt is a way to map runs of different distance. You can enter your location, and either enter new routes or find routes that other people have already entered.
Being that I live in Israel, that's what I searched for. And while Nike does have Israel on the map, no one seems to live here. It's totally blank. See for yourself.







I have three words for Nike: What the heck? Why is it that I can map a route in Amman, Jordan or Qalaat Deba, Lebanon, but not in Tiberias or Tel Aviv? Who decides that Arab countries get to have roads and cities, but Israel does not?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rabbi Spolter,

    In designing a website which makes use of the Google Map API, I was also unable to make use of certain functions for Israel sites (http://bit.ly/43cFJy), due to licensing restrictions from the data providers. I suspect a similar issue here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yitz,
    Thanks for the comment. My question is, if the information is available, then it's just a question of whether Nike wants to pay for it, isn't it? The data is there - it's just got to be licensed. Why then would Nike license the data for Lebanon, but not Israel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The map provider may not offer service for that area; from the discussions on the Google Maps API developer forum, whoever provides/was providing the map data to Google was holding out - Google reports they are continuously pushing for more data from holdout providers. And indeed, Nike is using the Google Maps API themselves for this site. If you want to complain, hit up http://www.gisrael.co.il/ and http://www.goleaddog.com/ who apparently are the providers for Google Maps data for Israel.

    How's the running? I just started a few months back, and recently ran a 27:03 in the Paramus 5k. I'm shooting for a half marathon in the spring. Weirdest thing, a guy from my HS (I don't think he's a Jew) ended up in Yerushalayim for academic purposes, I think. He posted on his Facebook wall how everybody looked at him weird when he went running...

    You'll remember me from Agudas Achim, aka Ben :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments transform a blog into a community. Please join.